The Nebraska Turkey season is almost upon us with the archery season opening March 25, youth shotgun April 10 and statewide shotgun April 17! If you are like me you are chomping at the bit to get out there! Here are some pre season turkey tips that will help but a bird in your freezer!
1. Plan your hunt for at least three days. The third day significantly enhances your odds of bagging a bird.
2. Get permission to hunt on private land NOW!
3. Pattern your shotgun and tune your bow – you need at least 5-7 pellets to hit the vitals of the head to kill that bird. Number 5 shot is my favorite and remember that even #6 shot runs out of the accepted lethal energy of 3.2 lbs/square inch at 36 yards. Number 5 may give you a few more yards and larger shot sizes pack more energy but offer less pellet density.
4. Start scouting to pattern birds at least one week before your hunt – try to locate roost sites, loafing areas and strutting zones. These will be critical when hunting as even during those hot days when nothing seems to work, you can rest assured your scouting has you in good areas for turkey.
5. Start practicing your calls but don’t rely on them as they can not replace good woodsman-ship - be proficient with your calls but understand that even the best caller in the world (Hershy) can’t bring in birds that are not there!
Below are some links that are good sites to help you with your hunt prep. As always, plan for safety and just enjoy the hunt!
See You Out There!