Maybe it is because we as humans long for the great outdoors and a connection to our natural wild heritage. Maybe its just plain fun. Either way, camping is the ultimate family bonding experience! Days spent hiking, fishing, swimming, boating followed by nights under the stars in a comfy tent or camper will be a part of your memory bank for years to come. So get out this weekend or over Memorial Day and enjoy the family and a nice camp fire!
Rawly’s Camping Tips
1. Head out Friday and find a choice spot at one of our parks or lakes.
2. Bring easy to prep foods and lots of pop and water.
3. Bring matches but find wood locally to help slow down the oncoming slaughter of the ash borer.
4. Invest in a good lantern.
5. Bring a closed cell foam pad to sleep on.
6. For easy smores, try Keebler chocolate coated cookies with a jumbo marshmallow. Cook the mallow slow and don’t burn it!
7. Bring bug spray but a good fire will help ward off most mosquitoes.
8. Bring the fishing gear and spend your afternoon on the water.
9. A little rope for a clothes line will help dry out wet clothes and shoes!
10. When you go to bag at night, try placing a piece of duct tape near your bag. If you find a tick or other bug on you, you don’t have to leave the comfort of your bag to get rid of it…just place it on the tape and it will be there in the morning.
For an easy breakfast…try scrambling eggs in a bag. Just open the eggs into a zip loc bag that can be boiled and then place the bag in boiling water and you will have scrambled eggs in a flash (works best if you remove the shells)!
Finally, some Parks have pay to use showers so don’t forget to bring your quarters!
Get Em’ Out There