If you’re looking for a fun, but quick outdoor activity that you can do with the fam’ on the water this time of year, perhaps before school starts, why not consider tanking! You bet. Floating a Nebraska river in a cattle or horse stock tank. What a riot! Folks of all ages enjoy doing this (including salty old Greg Wagner here with friends on the Elkhorn River not far from Omaha).
As I have said before, I like stock tank floating because it’s relaxing, the seating is generally good, you don’t have to paddle too much, you get an all-around perspective of a river environment and the tanks are tough to tip over. In fact, you hardly have to get your feet wet (if you don’t want to).
Here is a contact list of outfitters that rent stock tanks on Nebraska rivers for float trips:
- Calamus River near Burwell www.calamusoutfitters.com
- Cedar River near Fullerton www.brokenarrowwilderness.com
- Cedar River near Ericson www.get-tanked.com
- Elkhorn River near Waterloo www.tankdown.com
- Middle Loup River near Mullen www.gliddencanoerental.com
- Niobrara River near Valentine www.outlawcanoe.com
Wear that life jacket, have a fun tank float, take your camera, pack out your trash!