Thanksgiving has long been one of my favorite holidays. Getting together with friends & families without the hassle of presents really allows one to count their blessings and realize just how much we have to be thankful for. Add food, football and the four-day weekend in November, that many of us take, and it just gets even better.
About two-years ago I wrote the following blog and it is as true today as it was when I banged it out on the keyboard…have a wonderful Thanksgiving and extended weekend! hershy
Sitting in a tree stand gives you a chance to think a bit. Being that it is the Thanksgiving weekend I had a chance to think about all the blessing I have – sure there is my family, friends that have become family, my job and all the traditional things, but there are the small things in life that adds to the overall joy, too. I am very thankful (blessed) to…
* …have a young, four-legged hunting companion that not only eats my fresh-from-the-oven pumpkin muffins (bad, girl – bad, girl!) but makes me look like a better shot than I really am – what a retrieve!
* …have a bow to grip and random trees to stop the errant flight of my arrows – how’d that squirrel jump the string?
* …have an old Chessy that allows me to pretend to be a waterfowler from time to time
* …have commercially bottled doe urine available at just about every store – can you imagine having to collect it yourself?
* …have a football team to complain about
* …have enough warm clothes to make long sits in cold weather bearable – and not having the sense to stay indoors!
* …have a son that asks “What do we hunt next?” after a fruitless trip
* …have a daughter that likes to get muddy
*…have a wife that will say “Go Hunting” – sometimes she even means it!
* …live in Nebraska where there is enough wild places left to let my imagination roam